Now you can afford your dream kitchen with beautiful painted cabinets. With a Simple Nuvo Cabinet Paint Kit you can completely transform your kitchen and create your very own custom dream kitchen! Today I’m going to show you how to paint kitchen cabinets with the Nuvo Paint Kit.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
supplies that you will need to paint kitchen cabinets with the nuvo paint kit:
- Degrease Cleaner
- Sanding Pad ( We used 220 grit sanding pads )
- Frog Painter Tape
- Primer ( Zinsser Cover Stain Primer )
- Nuvo Hearthstone Cabinet Paint Kit
- 4 inch foam rollers
- Plastic Paint Tray
Prep Before YOu Paint
PREP WORK! Those 2 words are what will make or break a beautiful paint job. Cleaning is highly important. Kitchen cabinets get super dirty from grease, food and dust.
- Firstly, Remove nobs and pulls. Patch the old holes using wood filler if replacing old knobs with new ones. Drill new holes for the new knobs before painting so the cabinets do not get scratched after the paint has been applied. Also, if your cabinets have any deep nicks or scratches, fill them in with a fast-drying putty.
- Also remove cabinet doors and drawers. Number them under the hinge location where it won’t be visible. Then cover the numbers and hinges with masking tape to protect them while painting. You can use door stands to support the cabinet doors while painting. If you are on a tight budget and do not have the extra money for the stands here is a tip for you: Use plastic cups to prop your doors up from the floor.
- Sand all of the cabinet surfaces with a #220 grit sanding pad. Sand extra well around your door handles and stove because of the potential oils and dirt located in those areas.
- Clean: When you are done sanding, wipe up all of the sanding dust with a standard window cleaner since the alcohol will want to leave a residue. Take extra care to clean around the handles and places where you often touch. Pay extra attention to the area around the stove where oils and grease accumulates. You may need to clean a few times depending on how much the grease has settled. After cleaning, wipe up with Windex to remove any residue. This may need to be done a few times.
- Tape off any walls and appliances that meet your cabinets with two rows of Frog® Painters Tape. Press firmly so the paint does not bleed through. Also, place plastic over your countertops and floors to protect them.
- Applying primer before you paint helps ensure that the new paint has a smooth and clean finish to adhere to. This helps keep the paint from chipping or peeling during the course of normal use. Apply the primer with a paint brush, using long, even strokes. Let the primer dry completely according to the instruction on the label before applying your first coat of paint.
LET’S PAINT your kitchen cabinets with the nuvo paint kit!
My choice of color for our kitchen cabinets was Hearthstone by Nuvo Cabinet Paint. Hearthstone is a soft, warm greige with tendencies toward grey or beige depending upon surrounding colors.
Nuvo is designed to be applied with 2 to 3 thin coats.
Do not attempt to apply in one thick coat as it will affect the completion of the paint job. Most applications only need 2 coats, however, if you are painting a lighter color over dark wood, then you will need multiple thin coats to hide the underlying color. On our kitchen cabinets we applied 2 thin coats of primer and 2 thin coats of the nuvo paint.
After that, begin by using the 2 inch Wooster paint brush included in the Nuvo Cabinet Paint Kit to paint the edges of the doors and edges of the cabinets next to the walls and appliances. Use up-and-down brush stokes that go with the grain of the cabinets. Watch for drips and pooling of paint in the corners and brush out.
Next, paint the doors and cabinets with a roller. The Nuvo Paint Kit comes with a 6 inch foam roller, but I ended up purchasing a package of 4 inch foam rollers. The 4 inch roller was more suitable for the size of our cabinets. Be sure to roll off most of the paint from the roller before painting because it will minimize excess paint build up on the doors, drawer fronts, and cabinets. Allow at least 2 hours before repeating the process for a second coat.
time to put your kitchen back together!
Immediately after your final coat of paint dries to the touch, you may begin removing the tape. Carefully detach the tape with a sharp tool to ensure a clean removal from the new coating.
Re-Attach knobs and doors:
Wait a minimum of 8 hours before re-attaching your hardware and doors to prevent them from sticking. We ended up waiting two days to guarantee no sticking.
I hope you found this post, How To Paint Kitchen Cabinets With Nuvo Paint Kit, helpful and inspires you if you have been wanting to take the leap and paint your cabinets and create your dream kitchen all on a budget.
In conclusion, if this inspires you, I’d love for you to subscribe to my blog! I am always working on new projects and I’d love to share them with you!