Do you ever feel like your home needs a fresh look? I know I do and at times want to completely redecorate but don’t want to spend the money. Today, I’m going to share a little secret with you that I learned. Before I go out and buy something new I have learned to shop my home first and use what I already own. Shopping your home and redecorating with things you already have will make the space feel new again!
how to shop your home and make your space feel new again
It might be a picture, a lamp, a piece of furniture, a plant, certain pillows or throws. Make sure to look in cabinets and storage areas to see if you have any interesting bowls or vases on hand. You never know what you might find.
Some things you might want to look for as you shop your home:
- Artwork, frames, and photos that could be used alone or in a gallery wall;
- Rugs that you could layer;
- Favorite books for stacking on a coffee table or side table;
- Bowls and trays to sit on side tables;
- Throws and pillows;
- Plants (Real or faux);
- Candle holders in all shapes and sizes (You don’t even need candles to place in them);
- Pots, pitchers, and vases with wildflowers;
- Seasonal decor to change out for different times of the year
Take those pieces you found and lay them all out. Not every side table and wall has to be decorated. Remember, only use items that you love. Take down the old decorations and start playing around with those new pieces you found. Try them out in different spots to create a whole new look. Don’t be afraid to move things around. This is the fun part! It’s amazing to refresh your home with what you already have.
Sometimes you might think you do not have the right piece you need for a certain space. But instead of going out and buying something you might surprise yourself and find that you already have the perfect piece by playing with the decor that you already have.
Here are a few styling tips to go by:
- Rearrange the furniture to give a new look or to make a little bit of extra space. Sometimes you can find more room by playing around with furniture.
- Turn books around to display the lighter – colored pages.
- Trays and books make a great base for other objects such as candles, bowls, and plants.
your new space
You might discover as you shop your home that your style has changed, it’s the perfect time to declutter your spaces and donate or sell the items that no longer speak to you. A less cluttered and freshened up home is rewarding and satisfying.
Decorating your home can be easy, just remember to be creative and think outside the box and use what you already have. There is nothing wrong with going and buying new items but it is so rewarding to use what you have and make a space look new again. After you decorate the space, it is easier to see if you need new items. Next you can go to the store with a purpose and list in hand.
I hope this simple secret will help you find joy in your home. And you can look at your space with new eyes. I know that it doesn’t come natural for everyone to want to be frugal, but I think if you take this little secret to shop your home and make your space feel new again you will be surprised with how much you can save on home decor.
I would love to know how these tips helped you with finding pieces in your home and creating a beautiful space for less.
you might also like…..
- TOUR OUR HOME
- BEFORE AND AFTER
- CHOOSING THE RIGHT INTERIOR PAINT COLORS
- HOW TO UPDATE A KITCHEN ON A BUDGET